Here's how you can be a Responsible Traveller
There's no doubt that tourism has a significant impact on both our world-wide and local environments. A 2018 report by journal Nature Climate Change found that tourism accounts for about 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions. At the same time, travel has an unparalleled power to open minds to new experiences and cultures, creating a profound appreciation for what our world has to offer. Finding better, lower impact ways to travel is what responsible tourism is all about. Here are a few common-sense practices you can do to lower your travel impact.
- Select a low emission flight: https://www.skyscanner.net/environment
- Choose train or car when possible.
- Reuse towels & sheets instead of changing them every day.
- Keep your showers short and shut off water while brushing teeth.
- Turn off the AC/heat, television, lights and electrical devices.
- Take part in the hotel’s recycling program.
- Cut back on meat and dairy.
- Choose local dishes prepared using local ingredients.
- Use an eco-friendly mode of transportation like biking, walking or public transit when travelling locally.
- Choose "reef safe" mineral sunscreen based on zinc oxide or titanium oxide